Welcome to Southern Group Practice LLC Castletown Road, Port Erin, IM9 6BD | Tel: 01624 686979

Transgender Patients

Here at Southern Group Practice, we support everyone regardless of your gender identity.

Information for Trans Patients

Or those wishing to change their name, title and / or gender

Changing your Name

Simply complete a change of name request form and give it to reception. We will ask to see proof of a name change (such as a deed-pole or marriage certificate) along with photographic evidence. If you cannot provide this evidence, please arrange a telephone call with a doctor to discuss this further.

Changing your Title

You can change your title from Mr to Mx, or Miss/Mrs/Ms to Mx without changing your gender.

If you want to change your title from Miss/Mrs/Ms to Mr, or Mr to Miss/Mrs/Ms – you will have to change your gender on your NHS records too.

Changing your Gender

You can do this at any time, by completing a gender change form and you do not have to have undergone any form of gender reassignment treatment. You must be aware that changing your gender will mean you will be allocated a new NHS number, and your pre-exisiting NHS number will no longer be accessible or be reversible.  Your previous records will be merged to your new records, minus any previous identity information.

We as a practice will ensure you get called in for your screening opportunities as long as you stay registered with us, but we do need to know your assigned gender at birth to ensure you get called in at the right time.

Unfortunately the NHS only accepts a male / female gender for registration and for gender change currently, if you wish to choose non-binary or other, we can add an alert to your notes, so we as a practice know your preferred gender. Without a male or female gender we cannot register you or change your gender as PCSE will reject the application. Sadly, this is out of our hands.

Once we receive your new NHS number, we will create a new registration for you at the practice and will aim to merge your old records to your new records in a timely manner.

You may need to inform any hospitals you are under of your new NHS number so they can update your records.